Saturday, October 31, 2009

The ULAB Logo

Below is the official logo of University of Liberal Arts. Logo is a symbol of an entity which in this case is ULAB. The symbol may be the representative of something bigger than the very obvious. The logo of ULAB upfront is a very normal computer generated image. But it stands for something more perhaps. Now I will attempt to deconstruct this symbol and extract its denotative and connotative meanings.







Denotative: the obvious as it is. The official logo identifies the university. Notice that there is anchorage both in English and Bangla text.

Connotative: time to bore through the mundane. The color blue and yellow is actually the official color of ULAB to my observation. In the heart of the image there is an icon of a nib. Now the pen is an object that has ‘soul-connection’ with the profession of being a student. Right behind there is a yellow circle. May be it’s imitating the sun. The sun is a source of light but here the analogy could be that knowledge is light. The blue fill-in inside the image could make me think of two things. The vastness of the sky and the view from up there. Knowledge is supposed to open our eyes and help us look objectively and critically. From the sky everything looks different than on ground, much more holistic. On ground things appear obfuscated because we can’t see everything. And thus we don’t see everything. Our biasness, inclination and judgment is formed based on little that we know or see. Perhaps an educated mind tend to see things from all aspects and then make an assertion. Lastly notice that outer yellow part has the shape of a U as well as the inner blue part. That someway further emphasizes the name of the institution. The little star was deliberate and doesn’t add I suppose.



VERSE OF THE WEEK

Society, you're a crazy breed.
I hope you're not lonely, without me.
Society, crazy indeed...
I hope you're not lonely, without me
Society, have mercy on me.
I hope you're not angry, if I disagree.
Society, crazy indeed.
I hope you're not lonely...
without me.

(Song: Society; Artist: Eddie Vedder; Film: Into The Wild)

2 comments:

  1. As you saw from class, you could have dug a lot deeper into this logo - it actually has a very sophisticated sign system at work in something that looks "mundane"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I broke down a door that was already open I guess.

    ReplyDelete