Friday, October 16, 2009

On Reading Media Text

What are your thoughts on this course (Reading Media Text)?

I’m doing this course at the last hour of my undergrad and I’m glad. When I zipped through the list of topics that this course intended to cover, I thought I got the deal right then. I like the way we are encouraged and incited to stir our thoughts and react to topics such as reality and culture. Not to forget the classroom drills. It’s important for us to realize that society is a complex place. Reality is a construction of the human mind but consciousness is a gift. To see more than there is, we should see differently. This course reserves the potential to facilitate that.


What do you want out of this course?


How real is the reality? I remember studying debates concerning the argument whether or not film should be considered the ultimate art form because it captured reality verbatim (Film Theory). If reality is truly unknown then how can we claim that it’s real? Ask someone to describe a tree without language. Language is a construct that we utilize to describe and communicate. Now language is a social construction that is verifying reality to be real which in fact surpasses our comprehension. What the heck?


The media of today is a mass hysteria factory. It dictates, deludes, purveys and reinforces beliefs and values while debunking others. It chisels the mediation and perception of ‘our’ reality. I believe this course would be able to demonstrate how ‘is’ is actually ‘is’ compared to what is mediated and imposed and how we perceive it. It is imperative that I realize more than what is there to realize. I want to feel greater than what is there to feel. I would like to emancipate myself as if I did not belong. I would like to know and so tell me what you don’t know. That’s all.




P.S – From now on I am going to put a selected quote or song verse in each post. They will be like my quote or song verse of the week!



And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking

And racing around to come up behind you again

The sun is the same in the relative way, but you're older

And shorter of breath and one day closer to death



(Song: Time; Artist: Pink Floyd; Album: Dark Side of the Moon)

2 comments:

  1. Excellent and very thoughtful post. I am happy to have you "senior students" in the course because you bring a real wealth of experience and insight into the classroom.

    Of course that is one of my favorite lyrics from Pink Floyd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an honor! It's great when you can actually realize that you are the mammal with the largest brain size and you are making good use of it! Moreover when I can in my abilities probe into an issue and make an analyzed an critical account of it, it's very very satisfying indeed.

    And as always.......Pink Floyd > God

    Call me a blasphemer I don't care!

    ReplyDelete